… As N$3 million vanishes into thin air
By Confidente Reporter
THE Khorixas Town Council has reportedly failed to account for an estimated N$3 million that was meant for the construction of a much needed fire brigade station nearly two years ago, Confidente has learnt.
Sources privy to the matter told this publication that despite several enquiries into the whereabouts of the money, council management has no direct answer. Sources however believe that the money was misappropriated and used for personal activities by those that were in charge.
The town’s Mayor, Gerson Goagoseb distanced himself from the anomaly saying he only got wind of the matter when people started asking questions. Goagoseb however explained that the money was given to the previous council by the Urban and Rural Development ministry during the 2014/2015 fiscal year.
He added that a committee has been tasked to investigate the matter so as to establish what happened. “This money was given to the previous council during the 2014/2015 financial year and what we have picked up is that it was already used for something else. We were also not aware that there was such money given to the council but we now know that it is not there. We put management to investigate this matter.”
Goagoseb also said that it was important they locate the money or identify what it was used for because the town is in urgent need of the fire station.
“…Just recently there was an accident on one of our roads which was blocked off by fire. The fire could not be controlled immediately, it took some time. It would have been contained if we had that fire station,” he said. Efforts to get comment from the urban ministry proved futile at the time of going to print.
Since 2012, the town council has been in the spotlight after audits uncovered irregularities running into hundreds of thousands of dollars. Local media reported in 2012 that the council’s human resource head Eben Xoagub, head of housing Daniel Geiseb and CEO Nicodemus #Gaeseb were arrested in 2011 for alleged fraud following an Anti-Corruption Commission investigation.
The three were released on bail of N$30 000. Residents also demonstrated to have the three officials removed. At around the same time, local media also reported that the council’s Strategic Executive Officer Gerhard Amingo /Honneb, was suspended after allegedly refusing to give a report on capital projects, citing the removal of his signatory privileges to the council’s account.
Early February this year, it was reported that businesspeople who applied for a tender to erect a new fence around the sewerage ponds in the town last year were alleging corruption in the manner the contract was awarded.
The tender that was advertised in local papers on October 16 2015, was estimated to be about N$350 000 but it was alleged that the company that got it charged three times more.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015