By John Tuerijama
TALKS are currently underway between former world boxing champion Harry Simon and newly established Judgement Day Promotion for a world title fight later this year.
This was disclosed when the new boxing promotion stable was unveiled to the media this week.
Judgement Day Promotions spokesperson, Boris Isaacks said there is a possibility that Simon could vie for the vacant WBF intercontinental title but did not go into details on when and where the fight could take place, and against who the former WBO middleweight champion will fight.
Just last week, Simon’s World Boxing Union (WBU) cruiserweight title fight against Tanzania’s Said Juma Mbelwa which was initially set for November 18, was cancelled due to funding issues.
To compound matters, the Tanzanian boxer has also secured another fight as he cannot keep on waiting for Simon to one day find money to put the fight together.
After that misfortune, Simon has now turned to Judgment Day Promotions to give him another lifeline which may come in the form of the intercontinental fight.
Meanwhile, Isaacks also disclosed that his promotions company also wanted to rope in Wilberforce ‘Black Mamba’ Shihepo for the vacant WBF intercontinental title but he was ruled out as he recently competed for the commonwealth light heavyweight title against Britain’s Callum Johnson. Shihepo lost that fight by way of knockout.
Isaacks said the objective of Judgement Day Promotions is to develop boxers from an early age and ultimately transform them into national and international champions. He said boxing is one sports code that keeps young men from streets and away from committing crime.
Isaacks said another objective of his company is to unearth and encourage more female boxers to take the sport seriously.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015