By Confidente Reporter
THE wife of former Environment and Tourism minister, Uahekua Herunga, is reportedly refusing to cooperate with the Namibian police in a case where her husband stands accused of having allegedly raped a 51-year-old woman nearly three years ago.
Police spokesperson, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi said that Herunga’s wife’s statement is the outstanding piece of information they need to complete investigations before the case docket is sent to the Prosecutor General’s (PG) office for prosecution.
“In former minister Herunga’s case, the investigating officers are struggling to get the statement from one of the witnesses (wife). They tried their utmost best to no avail. Once the witness provides her statement, the docket will be forwarded to the PG for further instructions or decision,” Shikwambi said.
Mid last year, Nampol’s Deputy Commissioner Silvanus Nghishidimbwa told Confidente that the matter was initially sent to the PG’s office for decision but that the latter instructed more investigations.
Herunga faces a rape charge on CR872/01/2015 after a 51-year-old Windhoek woman alleged that the former minister raped her in her home. At the time, Herunga also lodged counter charges against the victim of character defamation and extortion.
The victim’s statement to Nampol revealed that Herunga allegedly forced himself on her on September 9, 2014 at her Pioneers Park home. Months before, they became acquaintances and worked together after Herunga asked her to do a fundraising campaign for a primary school in Opuwo named after him in 2012.
After the incident, the victim said that in a bid to silence her Herunga offered her N$100 000 and a friendly apology in front of her boyfriend and two friends, a promise the former minister allegedly failed to honour.
The woman in her statement also claimed that after the rape, she started vomiting before confronting the minister why he had allegedly sexually violated her considering that they had been good friends for three years.
Meanwhile, Shikwambi in a separate rape case involving Prosecutor General Martha Imalwa’s son Benjamin Mandume Imalwa and his co-accused Sebulon Nghimtina, the son of Labour Minister Erkki Nghimtina, said that police cannot trace the last witness who has since gone into Angola.
”What is pending is a statement from the witness who is reported to have gone back to Angola. Efforts to trace him have proven fruitless,” Shikwambi said.
The duo reportedly gang raped the complainant in the matter during a house party in Windhoek in 2012. At the time the accused men were both 20-year-old students at a local university. They denied guilt on a charge of rape during their first court appearance insisting that the sexual intercourse with the young woman was consensual. They claimed they met the complainant for the first time at the house where the alleged incident took place. Imalwa during their court appearance also testified that the victim made a pass at him by putting her hand into his pants when they were having a conversation at the house. They then moved to an isolated area and had sexual intercourse.
On his part, Nghimtina said that on that fateful day he briefly spoke to the young woman and when she agreed they went to a bedroom where they had sex. They were at the time granted bail of N$2 000 each, before the case was struck off the roll because there was no enough evidence at the time. Police however re-opened the case last year.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015