BASED on the recently published article in the Confidente newspaper regarding 16 million loss suffered by Khorixas Town Council according to the Auditor-General’s report, I am prompted to add interesting facts to shed more light on the issue and the history behind the current situation as a Khorixas inhabitant. During 2004, the same financial tsunami hit Khorixas which nearly led to the downgrading of Khorixas town to the status of a village.
The similarities are quite striking and cannot be seen as mere coincidence but a well-orchestrated move to bring down Khorixas because of individual interest.
1. The same mayor, Mr. Gerson Goagoseb elected and sworn in but recalled
UDF under Chief Justus Garoeb one day after the government audit began after allegations of mismanagement of Khorixas Town Council finances came to the fore.
2. Currently, Mr. Gerson Goagoseb is again topping the list as Swapo party mayor involved in corrupt dealings which prompted the recent demonstrations by community members in early February 2017.
3. Those in the know say the same controversial mayor is purportedly conniving with two senior administrative officials at Khorixas Town Council for the construction of a solar park on Khorixas Town Council land for 30 years without an Environmental Impact Assessment Certificate (EIA).
4. The Extra Ordinary Council meeting held on 13 January 2017 took a resolution in terms of the Local Authority Act, 1992(Act No.23 of 1992) 24(3) to put the Khorixas Road Construction Tender under investigation for 10 consecutive working days. In what could be seen as dictatorial one man show, disregarding the issue of collective leadership the controversial mayor in flagrant violation of the collective resolution taken on the above-mentioned date took a reckless unilateral decision and issued a letter to the acting CEO not to issue a notice to the contractors to stop the project. In that specific correspondence the controversial mayor also gave hint that he is above the law as he notified the Acting CEO that he would take the responsibility to answer to the Management Committee on the non-implementation of the said resolution.
5. There are many pending complaints against the controversial mayor before and since he was recalled by the overwhelming majority of the Swapo District Executive Committee of Khorixas Swapo district. The Regional Coordinator of Swapo for the Kunene Region, John Gawusab has made it his sole mission not to forward the resolution taken by the SWAPO Party Khorixas District Executive to the Secretary General of Swapo for reasons only known to him.
It is against this background that the loyal party cadres would like to be given an audience by the Secretary General of the Swapo Party of Namibia before things explode in Khorixas and irreparable harm is done to the popularity of Swapo Party in Khorixas district.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015