Namibian boxer, Jonas Junias Jonas, who was accused of sexual harassment during the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, held in August last year, has finally returned home.
Jonas touched down at the Hosea Kutako International Airport on Wednesday afternoon, after spending over seven months at the Namibian embassy in Rio de Janeiro.
Namibia National Olympic Committee (NNOC) Vice-President, Jessy Schiekerling, said that Jonas had returned to Namibia, pending the finalisation of his trial proceedings in Brazil.
Schiekerling said that he is pleased to confirm that on 24 April, the Rio High Court decided to relax Jonas’ bail conditions, allowing him to return to Namibia.
Jonas is currently awaiting a ruling by the Brazilian court on an interim application, heard during January.
Schiekerling said that depending on the outcome of the interim proceedings, Jonas might have to return to Brazil, until the finalisation of his trial.
Should he have to return to Brazil, the Brazilian court has ruled that Jonas must be accompanied by Namibian military attaché, Erastus Lazarus.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015