By Patience Nyangove
NEARLY 10 000 applications have been received by the City of Windhoek for the 399 Khomasdal plots it advertised in October last year, which includes 100 erven set aside exclusively for youth aged between 16 and 35.
Confidente has published a preliminary list of the youth beneficiaries in today’s edition on page 27, which is subject to a verification process with the Deeds of Registry.
The selected beneficiaries, who need to be first-time buyers, will be excluded if they already own a property.
Confidente can also reveal that 6 000 applicants were automatically disqualified, prompting some of them to accuse the City of changing the selection criteria, after the close of the bids.
The original due dates for the different categories of plots were 21, 26 and 31 October last year.
Unsuccessful tenderers also claimed that the City ended up allocating the plots to the highest bidder.
According to documents in Confidente’s possession, the City had informed the applicants that the preference criteria it will use would be that of an average price between the highest and lowest offer.
The City had also given guidelines in terms of the starting price for bids.
“All offers above the average highest offer and lowest offer would not be considered,” the City wrote.
City Public Relations Officer, Lydia Amutenya, on Wednesday denied that they had changed their evaluation criteria.
“The criteria were not disregarded, since the accepted (shortlisted) bids were not the highest bidders, but the first four bids closer to the average ranking from first to the fourth.
“The successful bidders will only be informed once the verification process with the Deeds of Registry, which is currently underway, is completed.
“This is a condition of the allocation, and hence, it is being complied with,” Amutenya said.
“In terms of the adjudication by the automated Property Sales System, those who did not meet the requirements were disqualified prior to the calculation of the average, and the shortlisting of the four bidders that are closer to and below the average calculated,” Amutenya said.
He added that the City was not going to publish names of successful bidders in the press, as it was a costly exercise.
“As indicated the successful bidders will only be known once the Deeds Office search has been completed.
“To publish all the successful bidders will be costly and not advisable at this stage. The records and information could, however, be availed to interested bidders, for them to verify the bids and calculations made.
“The City, however, normally communicates its decisions through correspondence, to bidders or tenderers.”
Meanwhile, council minutes also reveal that the municipality is set to make at least N$13.2 million from the sale of 80 unimproved plots to youths aged between 16 to 35 years in Khomasdal Extension 16.
This translates to an extra N$4 million in revenue, as the City’s upset price was N$8.9 million.
The sale of the 399 plots is part of a strategy by the City to arrest its escalating housing backlog.
The National Housing Enterprise estimates the national housing backlog to be growing by about 3 700 units each year, and currently stands at 100 000.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015