By Hilary Mare
WALKABOUT Resources Ltd, through its wholly owned Namibian entity, Alro Investments Forty Nine (Pty) Ltd, has received a letter of grant for a second Exclusive Prospecting Licence (EPL 6308) located in southern Namibia, by the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME).
This gives Walkabout a commanding footprint in the highly prospective Orange River Pegmatite Belt (ORPB) in the Karas region of southern Namibia.
More than 60 previously unmapped and unsampled pegmatites have been documented on Walkabout licences that have not previously been exposed to modern exploration techniques for lithium.
The project name is now amended to the Eureka Lithium Project, in line with the proximity to the Eureka Shear Zone, identified across the area.
Executive Chairman of Walkabout Resources, Trevor Benson, said in a statement last week that, “The team has been working very hard at securing these premium unexplored licences with 27 kilometres of known pegmatite swarms running through them. Our intention is to assemble a predominant holding for lithium prospectivity within Namibia and with these licences now underpinning such a program, this can quickly be realised.”
The licence is adjacent to, and lies directly to the south of EPL6309 that was awarded in March 2017 and this gives Walkabout a commanding landholder position of over 1 500km2, in what is potentially one of the country’s most prospective regions for lithium bearing pegmatites, with known historic lithium occurrences on EPL6308 and in the immediate vicinity.
The considerably underexplored region, with known lithium occurrences, has been the focus of a recently published mapping programme, completed as a joint initiative between the Council for Geoscience (South Africa) and the Geological Survey of Namibia.
Pegmatites with a combined strike length of 27 line kilometres (530 hectares), with the largest individual body over 2km in length, have been mapped in the southern portion of EPL6308, alone.
During a recently completed reconnaissance trip to the region by Walkabout geologists it was evident that many of the pegmatites have a high probability of further extending along strike beneath a thin veneer of recent sediments. The remainder of the project area is predominantly sediment covered with further possibility of discovering “blind” pegmatite bodies along structural target zones.
Walkabout has also been in ongoing discussions with various landholders to evaluate other opportunities in Namibia, and negotiations with some are at advanced stages.
The Eureka Lithium Project area (EPL’s 6308 and 6309) is located in the extreme south of Namibia, approximately 25km north of the Orange River and the border of South Africa.
The project area is approximately 7km from the AIM-listed Kennedy Ventures plc Namibia Tantalite Investment (NTI) Mine (former Tantalite Valley), which is currently in its commissioning phase.
Recent work on the pegmatites on the NTI ground has confirmed the presence of Lithium-CaesiumTantalum (LCT) type pegmatites with the pegmatites containing both lepidolite and spodumene lithium mineralisation, with grades 1.6 percent of Li2O reported from rock samples.
The recent delineation of extensive and large pegmatites within the Walkabout license area enables the company to implement a focused exploration program in a known lithium area, where it is in a position to establish a dominant lithium holding portfolio. Infrastructure (roads, rail, power and water) around the project area is well-developed with the town of Karasburg approximately 40km to the northeast.
Walkabout is fast-tracking the development of the Lindi Jumbo Project to take advantage of forecast market conditions for Flake Graphite deposits with high ratios of Large and Jumbo flakes.
The company has developed a proprietary processing technique, based on an existing and proven flow sheet used elsewhere in Africa, which yields exceptionally high ratios of Large (+180μm), Jumbo (+300μm) and Super Jumbo (+500μm) flakes into concentrate.
The company currently holds 70 percent of four licences at Lindi Jumbo, with an option to acquire the remaining 30 percent share. In addition to the Lindi Jumbo Graphite Project, Walkabout is also exploring for gold, lithium and base metals in Northern Ireland and lithium in Namibia.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015