… 17 Walvis Bay families benefit
By Samuel Pascoal
A total of 17 Walvis Bay families have received generous donations from community members at the coastal town after they lost their homes and properties through shack fires.
Walvis Bay businessman Ivan Marshall, Omwalu Fishiing, the Namibian police and the Mayoral fund, provided much-needed relief to those affected. This was in the form of blankets, duvets, pillows, double mattresses, clothing, shoes and food parcels, all collected and handed over to the seventeen affected families in Kuisebmond.
According to a media release, fires pose a serious safety hazard to shack dwellers in Namibia.
“Between January and December 2017 approximately 120 shack dwellings in Tutaleni and Kuisebmond have been destroyed by fires, with the most common cause being food left unattended during cooking times which leads to open fires. Most incidents occur during the night and more than 500 people have been left stranded because of this,” the statement read in part.
Walvis Bay Mayor, Alderman Immanuel Wilfried emphasised that “prevention is better than cure and that residents should take extra care when preparing meals and be wary of month-end intoxication as this can play a role in shack fires.
“We must be grateful that there hasn’t been a life lost to date but still appeal to everyone, not necessarily shack dwellers only, to be alert at all times when working with heat and fire’’.
Residents may reach the Fire Brigade on their toll free number 081 922 should a fire occur in Walvis Bay.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015