By John Tuerijama
AFTER their mouth-watering performance at the African Nations Championship (CHAN) final held in Morocco early this year players have reportedly received their duly remuneration this week.
The Brave Warriors under the tutelage of head coach Ricardo Mannetti, did the country extremely proud for reaching the quarter finals of the second most important continental showpiece after the African Cup of Nations (AFCON).
Namibia lost by 2-0 to hosts nation Morocco in their quarter final clash, and despite that loss the football pundits and lovers alike including the Minister of Sport, Youth and National Service Erastus Uutoni have expressed their appreciation to Mannetti.
Asked about the late payment, the Brave Warriors head coach vividly refused to comment on the payment.
“I am not allowed to make any comment regarding the payment of players but instead please contact the pay-masters in this case the Namibia Football Association.”
Asked if we can get comment from the national team captain , Mannetti said that there is no need speaking to Ronald Ketjijere as he is forbidden to speak. It is not substantively established how much was released to have the players remunerated as the officials played the real figure close to their chests.
The ongoing saga between the Namibia Football Association (NFA) President Frans Mbidi and his outgoing secretary general Barry Rukoro has led to the late payment of players, while many within the football fraternity alleged that the saga has severely tarnished the image of football.
Brave Warriors Team Manager Tim Isaacs earlier this week indicated that he had no knowledge of the outstanding payment of players but promised to verify the matter with the finance department.
However, when contacted again this week, Isaac later said that according to the NFA’s finance department, the delay in the payment of players has now been taken care of, and that payment will be effected before end of the week.
“The players should be receiving their payment today (Tuesday) as we speak. A transfer has been submitted that will authorize the bank to have the beneficiaries in this case the players receive their money this week.”
Isaac could however not say whether the Brave Warriors technical committee headed by Ricardo Mannetti will also get their payment. Contrary to this, Rukoro on Sunday during a live radio interview with the Otjiherero Radio Service known as ‘Omurari’ said that him, Mbidi and executive member Roger Kambatuku have been ordered not to sign any cheques belonging to the football association.
Rukoro during the broadcast stressed that the national team players will not receive their ‘remuneration’ this week because of the order barring them from signing cheques. However, things turned around for better when the bank disregarded Mbidi’s directive to the commercial bank not to have Rukoro sign any cheques.
It has emerged yesterday that Rukoro was allowed to sign the cheques, and had money released to have players paid, and also have the start-up capital released for the First Divisions to kick start their campaign this weekend.“All we know is that we are doing our best to ensure that the players get their money and not to get trapped into the situation,” said Rukoro. According to him, executives who are emotionally attached to the players and football in general will do their level best to have players get their salaries.
Rukoro claimed that there are individuals with hidden agenda who do not appreciate football before adding that the Brave Warriors have done the country proud in their African Nations Championships (CHAN) campaign in Morocco earlier this year.
Meanwhile, the fracas at the football which narrowly affected the kick off, of the First Division funds now seemed to have been released for the division to run their campaign.
Confidente has also established that the International Federation of Football Associations (FIFA) has acknowledged a letter from Mbidi dated 26 March informing the world body of the ending of Rukoro’s employment which ended on 31 March.
In its reply, FIFA urged the NFA president to duly inform the world football body on the appointment of a new secretary general.
The publication has also established that the FIFA delegation that was in the country for two days this week were only in Namibia to audit the ‘FIFA funding’ to the NFA, and not to conduct a forensic investigation.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015