EXPO 2025 is a forthcoming Universal scale Registered Exposition time slot sanctioned by the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), based in Paris. It will take place during 2025.
World Expos are organised every five years. Their themes are designed to raise awareness of and find responses to universal challenges of our time. The next World Expo will take place in Dubai (UAE) between 20 October 2020 and 10 April 2021 under the theme ‘Connecting Minds, Creating the Future’.
The BIE is an intergovernmental organization created to supervise international exhibitions (also known as expos or world expos) falling under the jurisdiction of the Convention Relating to International Exhibitions.
The BIE was established by the Convention Relating to International Exhibitions, signed in Paris on 22 November 1928, with the following goals:
• To oversee the calendar, thebidding, the selection and the organization of World Expositions; and
• To establish a regulatory frame work under which Expo organizers and participants may work together under the best conditions.
Today, 170 member countries have adhered to the BIE Convention. Three candidates to host World Expo 2025: Japan (in Osaka), include the Russian Federation (in Yekaterinburg), and Azerbaijan (in Baku). The forth bidder, France (in Paris),cancelled its application recently on the ground of financial constraints.
The 170 Member States of the BIE, Namibia included, will elect the host country at the 164th General Assembly in November 2018. Thus Namibia is faced with a choice which country to vote for.
In that connection one was reminded of recent assurances given by our leaders to the Russian Foreign Minister Mr. S.Lavrov about historically firm and friendly relations that exist between two countries. Bearing this in mind there is great opportunity to prove it with deeds and to repay a little, the massive assistance that we received from the former Soviet Union at times of our struggle for independence.
Other arguments to support Russia:
– Russia is totally on the side of Africa supporting its joint position on the UN reform. By contrast,Japan together with Germany are dreaming to get permanent sits in the UN Security Council andactually they are competing African states on this matter;
– choosing Russia as the host of World Expo 2025 Namibia and other African countries will get a chance to create direct links with their potential Russian counterparts and thus, they will contribute to strengthening bilateral economic relations;
– it’s more convenient for Africans to reach Yekaterinburg because it’s situated closer to themas compared with other bidders. Moreover, Baku and Osaka are more expensive judging on an average daily living cost. Furthermore, criminal situation in the last two towns is much tenser than in Yekaterinburg. It should be also recalled that ;
– according to independent experts there is high possibility that Azerbaijan may cancel its bid to host the Expo at the last momentsince it is facing multiple economic problems, which are much more serious than in the case of France, or it will organise the exhibition at low level.
Also Russia deserves African support from the political point of view, amidst growing pressure on it from the West which is trying to resist Moscow’s rise in international affairs. Meanwhile Russia defends not only its national interests but the move of the world towards multipolarity, towards universal equality and justice.
One may predict numerous undercover approaches by the Western envoys in attempts to convincethe Namibian Government not to vote for Russia. And it will be a serious test of our political maturity.
*Thomas Beukes, a Namibian student in Yekaterinburg, Russia
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015