By John Tuerijama
Salute Boxing Academy spokesperson Armas Shivute said Vikapita ‘Beast Master’ Meroro is not prohibited by any contractual agreement with the boxing stable from fighting former World Boxing Organization (WBO) Light Middleweight champion Harry Simon.
Shivute this week confirmed to Confidente that Meroro who joined the Salute Boxing earlier this year is scheduled to fight Simon popularly known as the ‘Terminator’.
He added that Simon who owns the Harry Simon Onkungo Promotions approached them to have Meroro highlight the boxing night.
“Such practises are very common and we have been consulted by Simon. Before any announcement was made we were consulted and discussions took place between ourselves and Simon,” said Shivute.
He added that although the fight is being promoted by another promoter in this case Simon, Meroro is training under the tutelage of veteran trainer Tobias Nashilongo.
“He [Meroro] has our blessing from the Salute Boxing Academy, and as our boxer we wish him all the best in his preparation for the non-title fight scheduled for June 30 at the Ramatex complex.” According to him, the boxing bout came about as results of requests from boxing enthusiasts who demanded or called on a Simon-Meroro showdown.
“The [boxing lovers] have been calling for this fight and it is great that the two boxers have agreed to trade blows.”
He noted that there might be other boxers from his stable to fight on the night as undercards but such arrangements have not yet been penned down.
The Simon –Meroro fight has since been the talk of town, especially within the boxing fraternity and at times has been dogged by unwelcomed tribal remarks from various quarters of society. It has been reported that the fight will be preceded by seven under card fights to be headlined by Harry Simon Junior. During the signing ceremony, Meroro was given N$10 000 by Weto Trading CC for his preparation. Meroro last fought in December 2017, when he embarrassingly lost to Maxim Vlasco of Russia while the former WBO light middleweight champion last fought in 2016 when he fought and defeated Tanzanian-born Japhet Kaseba at Helao Nafidi.
Simon born on 21 October 1973 is still an undefeated boxer in the super welterweight division. He is currently undefeated as a professional, and won his first title in 1998 when he defeated Winky Wright for the WBO light middleweight title.
In 2001, Simon won the interim WBO middleweight fight against Hacine Cherifi and went on to defeat Armand Krajnc in 2002 for the title.
Regarded as one of Namibia’s greatest boxers, Simon was involved in a serious car crash in 2002, where he lost the title after being unable to defend it due to the accident injuries sustained.
In 2013, the former champion won the vacant International Boxing federation (IBF) light heavyweight title against Geard Ajetovic, and went on to defend the title against Ajetovic in 2014.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015