…fight against Simon off
By John Tuerijama
THE much-anticipated non-title fight between former World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Light Middleweight champion Harry ‘The Terminator’ Simon and compatriot Vikapita ‘Beast Master’ Meroro is not likely to be sanctioned by the Namibia Professional Boxing and Wrestling Control Board (NPBWCB).
The fight, which was scheduled for this Saturday at the Ramatex complex, had attracted huge interest from boxing fans countrywide as the duo had been at each other’s neck for a while.
Responding to questions from this publication early this week on whether both boxers had met all the requirements to have the fight sanctioned, NPBWCB Board Member Ronald Kurtz said: “As it stands Meroro has not met the weight limit for the cruiserweight and that the fight can’t be sanctioned.”
Other outstanding issues that needed to be addressed before the bout could be sanctioned include Simon’s medical record (due to his advanced age) and the physical fitness of Meroro whose recent fight was dismal.
In his recent fights, Meroro got knocked out in December by Moksim Vlasov, in Moscow, and earlier in 2017 the boxer suffered humiliation at the hands of South African Kevin Lerena at the Emperor Palace in Kempton Park.
Kurtz said the requirements essentially centered on the medical and physical fitness, as well as the weight limits, of the two boxers. The heated debate around the much-anticipated fight has attracted unwanted tribalistic remarks from some members of the public, although Kurtz denied any knowledge of such.
Asked about the importance of the boxing promoters adhering to the rules and regulations of the Boxing Act, Kurtz said: “If say we sanctioned a fight and a boxer dies and it is found that such a boxer was not fit either medically or physically, then the Board will not be held liable.” Kurtz urged boxing promoters to stick to the rules and regulations.However, a disappointed Meroro dismissed the weight issue an excuse for the fight not to go on. He said the required weight for the bout was 97kg and he initially weighed 102kg and went down to 99kg last week. “They were supposed to weigh us this coming Friday which is the normal practice but the promoter, Smokey Hilongwa, told me that the fight is off. I have tried contacting Simon but they went quiet this whole time,” said Meroro.
The boxer said despite the cancellation of the fight he will continue to train very hard as there might be another possibility for fight soon.
Confidente. Lifting the Lid. Copyright © 2015